At the moment “Big Tech” is getting more and more negative publicity. Companies like Facebook, Twitter and Google are getting very active with censoring whatever they deem unworthy to be published through their channels. Free speech is clearly under attack.
Besides the reduction of free speech, the limitation you are faced with when you use the services of Big Tech, there are other reasons to switch to alternative options for these services. These are typically companies who prove again and again not to respect your privacy.
If you do not want your private data harvested for marketing purposes, you should avoid using these services altogether. And if you are not sure yet whether this is really such a serious issue, these privacy concerns, I highly recommend watching “The Social Dilemma” to you.
A third reason to avoid Big Tech is the financial side of the story. When you support Big Tech, you support tax avoidance and enriching share holders. In general, you support the 1% of the world population who owns half of the world’s assets, not the other 99% of the world population.
Reclaiming free speech, protecting your privacy, restoring wealth distribution. In my opinion, these are three good reasons to switch from Big Tech to smaller alternatives, who are not involved with these negative practices, but operate on a more humanistic foundation.
There are of course many small alternatives to the Big Tech services, too many to mention in one blog post. I will simply start with mentioning five good alternatives, services I use myself, with positive experiences. Here they come.
“As a user, access to your web activity and data is sold to the highest bidder. Internet giants grow rich, while publishers go out of business. And the entire system is rife with ad fraud. Brave is built by a team of privacy focused, performance oriented pioneers of the web. Help us fix browsing together.” Visit website.
Duck Duck Search Engine
Signal Messenger App
“State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol) keeps your conversations secure. We can’t read your messages or listen to your calls, and no one else can either. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.”
“We are scientists, engineers, and developers drawn together by a shared vision of protecting civil liberties online. This is why we created ProtonMail, an easy to use secure email service with built-in end-to-end encryption and state of the art security features. Our goal is to build an internet that respects privacy and is secure against cyberattacks.”
MeWe Social Media
“MeWe challenges the status quo by making privacy the foundation of online social experiences. MeWe does not share or sell your personal information to advertisers or marketers. There are no ads, no targeting, no newsfeed manipulation and NO BS! Share content only with those you wish to see it. It’s your online life, with trust, control, privacy and safety.”
Restoring privacy, free speech, and balanced wealth distribution has to start somewhere. What is the first step? I believe that switching to these kinds of services can be a constructive, meaningful first step. If you have additional ideas, please let me know!